Saturday, October 13, 2007

Student Opinion

I have never understood what the word "homophobia" meant until I had stepped foot onto this college campus. I mean, I knew what it meant, but I just never realized that there were really people like this, those who are prejudice and demonstrate discriminatory attitudes toward gays and homosexuals. It amazed me and, at the same time, disgusted me to know that there are people out in the world, nonetheless, on campus, that judged others based on their sexual orientation. I remember becoming an instant ally once I found the Queers and Allies organization.

Whenever topics of gender or sexuality come up in class or discussions, emotions run high and personal opinions end up leading to wrong assumptions. For example, the difference between gender and sex, we all understand the basic differences. Sex is based on biological differences while gender is dynamic and is basically how an individual identifies themselves. Perhaps some of us on campus just put in our own thoughts and emphasize on how one's sexuality can make them want to act like the opposite sex or gender. I think people just to learn more about the community to understand it better and perhaps then, they will not discriminate or ignore the human sexuality issue within our society.

I have a boyfriend whose family is Baptist and whose g'rents are Catholics. I remember telling him about the Drag Show and what not one weekend. He gave me a look that told me this was an issue he did not want to discuss. I thought he was one of those people who hated on the GLBT community. As it turns out, he isn't. He has gay friends who are totally rad and cool to chill with. Then I started wondering, the GLBT can have faith in God also. God does not discriminate. However, my thoughts vaguely remember someone mentioning how the Bible declares that God does like man-man or woman-woman relationships. He wanted man and woman together. Not this. I love God and all and I have no idea whether the Bible says this or not. But I am sticking to my morals. They are people, too. And without them on campus, how would I have ever known about this hot topic? How would I have ever had information about becoming an ally? Or, if I was homosexual or bisexual, would I have a place here on campus for me? Would I meet others and have friends who were just like me?

RIC is an awesome idea. It is equality. It is diversity. It is progression. It is a great way to promote perspective students, whether they be straight or gay or bi or whatever. This program will help the campus raise awareness of the GBLT people, their beliefs and values, their stories and many other things that will have a great effect on our campus culture.

Besides, there are other orgs out there with RIC . . How come we can't have one?

-Champa-

No comments: